Midlands and selected National Events
Links are to tournament organisers' websites or entry forms. Events without links will have links uploaded when they have been received from county officials or organisers. Entries with TBA or TBC will have details uploaded shortly after the webmaster receives information from organisers.
For junior only events, please visit the "Junior Events" page.
- Volunteers required for Chess in Schools & Communities
- Sun 16 Oct. Birmingham Rapidplay. Six rounds 10:30am to 6:30pm at Quinborne Community Centre, Ridgacre Road, Quinton, Birmingham, B32 2TW. Open, 170 max, 140 max and 110 max tournaments.
- Sun 6 Nov. Bolton Rapidplay at The Ukrainian Social Club, 99 Castle Street, Bolton BL2 1JP. Open, Major (u145) and Knights (u130) tournaments, 6 rounds 10am to 6:40pm. Contact Ron Middleton.
- Sat & Sun 12 & 13 Nov. British Rapidplay 2016. At Temple Moor High School, Field End Grove, Selby Road, Leeds LS15 0PT. Eleven rounds FIDE Open, Major FIDE (u171), Intermediate (u146) and Minor (u121) tournaments. Also junior only events - see website.
- Fri9 to Sun 18 Dec. London Chess Classic at Olympia. See World Champion Carlsen in action, tournaments for club and junior players.
- Fri to Sun 6 to 8 Jan 2017. Shropshire Congress at Wrekin Housing Trust Telford TF3 4AW. Open FIDE, Major and Minor tournaments. Contact Steve Rooney for more information.
- Sat & Sun 14 & 15 Jan 2017. Four Nations Chess League Divisions 1 and 2 rounds 3 & 4 at Park Inn, Northampton.
- Sat & Sun 14 & 15 Jan 2017. Four Nations Chess League Division 3 North rounds 3 & 4 at Park Inn, Northampton.
- Sat 28 Jan 2017. 20/20 Chess Birmingham Qualifier at Birmingham University, B15 2TT. 12 noon to 6pm. National Rapidplay Team Championship.
- Sun 29 Jan 2017. Nottingham Rapidplay 10am to 6:30pm at Nottigham High School, Waverley Mount, Nottingham NG7 4ED
- Sun 29 Jan 2017. Stockport Rapidplay. 10am to 6:30pm at The Guildhall, 169-171 Wellington Road South, Stockport SK1 3UA. Open, Major (u170), Intermediate (u140), Minor (u110) six-round Swiss tournaments.
- Sat 4 Feb. 20/20 Chess Manchester Qualifier at Manchester University, Oxford Road, Manchester M13. 12 noon to 6pm. National Rapidplay Team Championship.
- Sat, Sun 11, 12 Feb. Four Nations Chess League Divisions 1 and 2 rounds 5 & 6 at Park Inn, Northampton.
- Sat, Sun 11, 12 Feb. Four Nations Chess League Divisions 3 South rounds 5 & 6 at Park Inn, Telford.
- Sat, Sun 11, 12 Feb. Four Nations Chess League Division 3 North, rounds 5 & 6 at Mercure Bolton Georgian House.
- Sat, Sun 25, 26 Feb. Warwickshire Open Chess Championships at Coventry Rugby Club, Butts Road, Coventry CV1
- Sat, Sun 4, 5 Mar. Four Nations Chess League Divisions 1 and 2 rounds 7 & 8 at Park Inn, Telford.
- Fri to Sun 10 to 12 Mar. Castle Chess Hereford Congress at The Green Dragon Hotel, Broad Street, Hereford HR4. Championship (u195), Premier (u175), major (u155), Intermediate (u135), Minor (u115) and Challenger (u95). Six-round Swiss tournaments.
- Sat, Sun 1, 2 Apr. Nottingham Congress, at Nottingham High School, Waverley Mount, Nottingham NG7 4ED. Open, u165, u135, u110 five-round Swiss tournaments.
- Sat, Sun 12 & 13 Aug. MCCU@Walsall. At Ryecroft Community Hub, Bloxwich as last year. Open, Major, Minor 5-round Swiss tournaments.